Thursday, July 31, 2008

Burglars, Silence, and the Maid

Well, the title of this post sums up the past week or so with three words. But since there's so much more to it, I must tell you all about it. From my point of view, of course.

Let's start with the maid. She was referred to us by another maid. Her sister-in-law. Two Thursdays ago she came and we showed her around and agreed to pay her R120 a week. That's about $15 and more than we should. But we thought we would anyway. She cleaned, did her thing, and then we took her to the but stop. The next week she came, and this is where the shadiness begins. I had been awake very late the night before and Thursday mornings are my morning off. So I slept in. The maid (Florence) was already cleaning when I got out of bed. Mike had let her in and went off to the gym. I talked to her for a little while and told her that we had to go to do some office work and she finished up. Mike hadn't returned yet and she says, "I need R200". I asked her why and she went on to explain that her children had school fees. So I told her that that would be alright for this week. She continued to tell me that next week I could keep R30 and so on for the next couple week until it was back down to R120 and that would suffice from then on out. So we leave for the office and drop her at the bus stop. I turn to Mike halfway down Circular Drive and say," I paid her R200 today." What? He said that he had left R120 on the table before he left and when he returned he noticed it was gone. So our maid got away with R320 ($45) for one day. So today we weren't at the cottage because we spent the night at the girls' house (see latter part of this post for explanation) and missed her. Lilian (our landlady) calls us and tells us that her husband Michael had let the maid in and that she was now wanting R120. Should she pay her? Mike and I weren't planning on paying her this week and having a talk with her. Michael said she had only done a half-day's work and she didn't do everything that was supposed to be done. So they didn't pay her. If she's going to stay on with us there are going to have to be some very clear standards that will be laid out next week. If those standards aren't what she desires then she's free to go. Perhaps Matthew 6 comes to mind now and again, but I'm over it...

Pressing on to the burglars. On Tuesday morning around 3 AM two men broke into the granny flat off of the girls' house where Tara slept. They put a rock through the window and climbed through, pushed Tara into the bathroom, took her computer, ipod, phone and R6000 ($750) along with the feeling of safety that she had before. In and out within 5 minutes. She was screaming and came into the house where the other girls had already blockaded themselves into a room and had pressed the alarm, called the police, ADT, and Ken and Judy. Sasha called me around 3:30 AM and told me what had happened. Semi-surreal. The first time the phone rang I thought I was dreaming so I ignored it. The second time I picked up and all units were on sight. I was at the cottage the whole time (Mike and I's estate). So before we went to school that morning we swung by Ken and Judy's to comfort and console the girls. The trauma is no joke. It's affected them in some intense, internal ways. It hurts me to see the hurting. Mike and I moved in Tuesday night to stay with the girls until they were feeling a little more comfortable. That may be long after we move back into our place, but they need the support. It's encouraging to me to see them all turning to prayer and the scripture for answers. My faith seems dwarfed in comparison at times. Journaling, praying, reading, and letting out all of the emotions that are within. It's difficult for several reasons, the main one being what I'm about to talk about.

For a long time I've been wanting to take a vow of silence. So, before the incident, I decided that since Ken and Judy were going to take this week for their getaway that we got them for Father's Day, it was the perfect time. Mike and I go to Sanctor High School every Tuesday and Wednesday to work with the math teachers and whatever else we can do. Yesterday we sat in with the Chess Club after school and then watched part of a rugby match. Backyard baby and so much fun. Mr. Kennedy (the teacher I work with and find so humorous and fun) invited Mike, Sasha, and I to have a bite to eat with the visiting coaches. So we went back inside between games and had some fish from a fishery. Good stuff that, especially when it's fresh daily! Pressing on. . . After school at 4 PM I began and plan to end at 2 PM on Saturday. I have written out a vow and signed it with God and Mike as my witnesses. After this exercise in mental discipline, listening, learning, reading, praying, journaling, and contemplation is complete I will write again with some of my thoughts. So as of this moment in time I'm done with speaking, facebook, IM, SMS (text). I am emailing and blogging though. My personal notebook is my way of telling people what I'm thinking and needing. Other than that I'm enjoying, struggling, and wondering all this time. When all one can do is contribute to a conversation in their head it's quite obvious how every person's input affects the direction of thoughts and speech. But I would really like to hone my hearing skills. Not just hearing others, but being able to hear myself a little bit better before I even speak. Something that I already feel happening. Three days isn't a very long time really, and perhaps someday I'll do it again for a longer period of time. We shall see.

Just a couple thoughts within me, since they can't be without me.

No comments: