Thursday, December 11, 2008

Blog #"Way too Late"

{ HA HA HA - I wrote this more than a week ago but remembered to post it just now. Enjoy, if it makes any sense }


The Big Trip has been over for about a month now. The experiences had were very beneficial. Beneficial in the sense that now I've seen a little bit of the back, bush areas, two other countries, the church in those areas, more elephants than I could have imagined, and people who have shown me what it is to be hospitable. It's beautiful to look back on those memories and know that if I was ever in those regions again there are numerous people who would be willing to take me in. As a team I felt that we grew together and became a little stronger. It would be odd to be here with anyone else at this point. That is encouraging.

The happenings of this past week have inspired me to write once again. Another inspiring occurrence was the purchase of a little USB modem so that I can actually access the internet on my computer. The cellular phone I have is a Samsung and, unfortunately, they aren't compatible to connect to the internet with Mac. I didn't know this when I purchased the phone, obviously. But, the disconnection and lack of communication is past and I'm going to be in touch more. I don't say "try to be in touch more" because these past couple months have been bad in this area. There is great resolve within me to let you know what's happening.

Masinga Rune. I've mentioned him before but I want you to get to know him. He's special to Mike and I. For good reason... He has been added to the Kingdom. I was privileged enough to baptize him into Christ on Sunday the 26 of October in the year 2008. He's a loud and flamboyant person. This makes him great fun to talk to and be around. Since he lives down the street it's easy for us to go get him for youth or have him over on weekends to watch a movie or study or something.

Since things are getting better with the relations in my life I feel very relieved. The situation I was asking for prayers in has ironed itself out with the help of God. Although the road is never smooth all the time, right now it's getting better. Uphill but better. Thank you for your concern and prayers.

On Saturday we went paintballing with some friends from church. There's a course here in the suburb of Walmer just ten minutes from Mike and I's house. Total cost for 2,000 balls and playing all day: $14. That's cheaper than a normal weekend endeavor in the states. Especially since petrol prices are expected to fall R1.30 in December. Or something close to that. Little blessings that add up.
PAINTBALL! Ah yes. There are four different "levels" or courses. An urban level with wooden building partitions and a bush area in the back, Speedball - an open course with concrete tubes (?) like those used for sewer systems and blocks, a small bush level, and big bush are the options. Joey, Mike and I were on a team versus Shawn Fortuin (Fairview church), Verni (PE North - Gelvan Park), Masinga, and Kuda (good friend who now lives with Joey since Johnathan from the old team has left). People would come join us and play in our games so every game was even. It was great fun. I'll say this, some of the guys we played against were scary with their full body suits, armor, long barrels, machine guns, and upgraded stuff. One of them, Kendy, was on our team and he looked like he was straight out of Vietnam. Before and after every game he would light up a smoke and his gun was linked to his chest so he didn't have to hold it at all times. The only difference between him and a soldier was that he was wearing black and not camou. Then there was Rambo, who played for the natives. He was more sporty with his padded shirt and orange, killer gun. One time he flanked me and unloaded on my left side. A good three or four welts from that. He apologized, nice guy. Hardcore, but nice. We played 16 games and our team won 12 of them. 75% isn't bad, unless it's realistic, then you're still dead. The final game was a 10 ball free-for-all. I must have had my hopper (where the balls sit on top of the gun) open or something because I was out right away. I think they fell out. The rule changed that once you were hit you had to run out and people could still peg you. I put my hand up anyway and walked to the door since I was right next to it. Looking down at my gun I didn't see Mike come in behind me. From the corner this guy Martin, with a long barrel, shoots one and it hits me directly. I'll stop the story here. It was an unlucky shot but I'm alive. We've all been hit by them, but this hit just happen to be excruciatingly painful. All's fair in love and war. This was war.

Today I was sore and my neck has been off lately. I may see a chiropractor within the next week if it doesn't get better. It's so bad that when I wake up in the morning I can't bend my neck down and it's still there at the end of the day. We'll see... Pray for me, please.

KCK-ILY

No comments: